In this episode we talk to Level 5 Senior International Weightlifting Coach Mike Burgener. Mike runs a regional training center for USA Weightlifting from his home in Bonsall, California. He has coached the Junior World Women's Weightlifting Team and his son, Casey Burgener among other notable weightlifters.
In this episode we discuss the touchy relationship needed when coaching your kids to a high level in sport. We also discuss techniques for weight gain for athletes, the foundations of weightlifting and how to approach a PR lift from a lifters perspective and also from a coaches perspective amongst much, much more.
This one was a really good chat guys. We hope you enjoy it.
This podcast is supported by Audible. Audible is home to the widest selection of digital audiobooks, including best sellers, new releases, exclusives and much more. Listen anytime, anywhere on your tablet, mobile or desktop with our free app. Audible is offering listeners of AdventureFit Radio a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. To download your free audiobook today go to audibletrial.com/advfradio. Again, that's www.audibletrial.com/advfradio for your free audiobook. I recommend......
This podcast is also brought to you by LocSam Solutions. LocSam Solutions is a boutique consulting and business support company focused on business consulting and commercial services. The key to their success has been through the application of a pragmatic approach combined with entrepreneurial spirit to achieve our clients’ outcomes. Their philosophy is simple: deliver well-defined, measurable business outcomes to their clients through the engagement of subject matter experts with real world experience. They can be found at www.locsamsolutions.com.au.
This podcast is also supported by No Days Off Supplements. NDO Supps is a newly formed company that aspires to build a trusted brand by having honesty, integrity and loyalty as the corner stones of their relationships with all their stakeholders. From suppliers to customers to sponsored athletes and individuals, they will work hard to ensure all receive the utmost attention and support and that harmonious relationships are mutually beneficial for all.
Use the code ADVFRADIO when purchasing to receive 10% off at www.ndosupps.com.
Finally this podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Check out the website for all our trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
- Tommy’s Tribute. [6:30]
- Mike Burgener Introduction. [8:45]
- Backlash from the weightlifting community? [10:08]
- What initially drew you into CrossFit? [11:12]
- Touch and go reps. [14:20]
- Case Study: Casey Burgener, addressing strengths and weaknesses, eating and nutrition, dad-son fallouts? Family issues? [18:00]
- What’s the most important thing for parents coaching their kids as athletes? [22:47]
- Trusting your son. [25:38]
- Breaking PR’s: setting it up and making it happen. Getting ‘in the hunt.’ [27:20]
- Cutting weight and still competing well. [29:20]
- Dirty bulk diet. What of nutritional value and nutritional plans? [32:33]
- Approaching the Paleo Diet. Does it suffice? [35:50]
- Training on the Bulgarian weightlifting method, ideal max day frequency? [39:00]
- How to deal with missed lifts. [41:50]
- Strength cycles. [43:12]
- How to evaluate overtraining? [44:40]
- Mental preparation before lifting. [46:50]
- 9 from 9. [49:50]
Selected Links from the Episode:
- Grace, Isabel, Helen (CrossFit Workout)
- USA Weightlifting Course
- Bulgarian Method
- Paleo Diet
- Snatch (weightlifting)
- Clean & Jerk (weightlifting)
- Front Squats
- Perceived Exertion Scale
- Navy Seals
- Delta Force
- Burgener Warmup (Video)
- Skill Transfer
- Overhead Squat
- Strength Cycles
- Vertical Jumps
- True Grit
- Mike Burgener
- Greg Glassman
- Cross Training
- Josh Everett
- Greg Amundson
- Casey Burgener
- Natalie Burgener
- Erin Okonek
- Lucas Parker
- Ilya Ilyin
- Davy Crockett
- John Wayne