Rusty Young (born 1975) is an Australian-born writer known for his book, Marching Powder, published in 2003, and based on real life experiences in a Bolivian prison. He’s a commerce/law graduate from the University of New South Wales, who has lived most of his life in Sydney, Australia.
In this podcast, we initially get to know a little more about Rusty’s background before we delve a little more into how he went about writing and eventually publishing Marching Powder. We get a glimpse on his knowledge in the Bolivian prison drug trade and capturing the story while in a prison. Finally we also get a sneak peek on what's happening in his upcoming book Colombiano!
Interesting insights on the writing process, and the reality of storytelling in this pod. Listen to this great conversation guys!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Stitcher.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "Save as."
This podcast is supported by Audible. Audible is home to the widest selection of digital audiobooks, including best-sellers, new releases, exclusives and much more. Listen anytime, anywhere on your tablet, mobile or desktop with our free app. Audible is offering listeners of AdventureFit Radio a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. To download your free audiobook today go to audibletrial.com/advfradio.
This podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Head over to www.adventurefittravel.com to check out all our trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
- Book - Marching Powder
- Tommy’s tribute. [6:35]
- A little bit of Rusty’s background. [08:25]
- What triggers you in moving into studying Law? [09:30]
- When did you start writing? [11:10]
- Rusty’s source of income. [12:31]
- What brought you on writing Thomas’ story? [13:50]
- What happened to Thomas then? [24:15]
- Interesting story that Rusty did not write in his book. [25:55]
- The writing process. [27:35]
- How do you stay motivated in Colombia? [32:55]
- How did you publish the book? [37:15]
- Rusty explains the types of cocaine. [40:50]
- Rusty shares his experience when he was in prison. [44:30]
- How did people in prison react? [49:00]
- The Marching Powder movie’s cast and staffs. [58:40]
- The Good, Bad and Science. [1:00:50]
- Craziest items that are inappropriate to travel. [1:01:10]
- A man tearing his ears to look like a Parrot. [1:04:00]
- If you could be an animal, what would it be? [1:04:45]
- Who built the Pyramid of Giza? [1:07:00]
- Rusty reasons out why he chooses Colombia above the other. [1:12:30]
- Colombia’s history. [1:17:50]
- The difference between fiction and nonfiction story. [1:21:47]
- Rusty’s experiences on traveling around the world. [1:30:40]
- 6 from 6 [1:37:40]
- Who is your biggest role model? [1:38:10]
- What are the things that you do when you are in downtime? [1:39:00]
- When you invite three people to dinner, who would that be? [1:39:50]
- Where is your favorite travel destination? [1:40:30]
- What is your dream destination? [1:43:00]
- When you are on a desert island, what three things that you would bring? [1:44:40]
- Marching Powder
- South America
- La Paz
- Thomas McFadden
- San Pedro Prison
- Crack cocaine
- Brad Pitt
- Plan B Entertainment
- Don Cheadle
- Pyramid of Giza
- Graham Hancock
- Central America
- Christopher Columbus
- Child soldier
- Drug trafficking
- Pablo Escobar
- Fiction novel
- Boracay, Philippines
- Macbook Pro